Sunday, August 10, 2008

All Is Well

Yesterday, the family took the boat out to Utah Lake for a couple of hours. It was the first trip of the year. Sad, I know. A good time was had by all, even though we discovered a number of potentially costly repairs that need to be made. Even more sad, I know.

A little black rain cloud followed us into the marina at the end of the afternoon. Not surprising, it is August after all. I thought our timing was perfect. We should have been able to get off the water before the storm hit. I didn't expect that everyone else on the Lake was thinking the same thing.

My plan was to guide the boat onto the trailer in open, peaceful waters just ahead of the approaching storm. In truth, I was buffeted by the wind as I tried to protect myself from the marble size hail that started to fall just as I began my approach. The storm only lasted about ten minutes, then the clouds lifted slightly and it was over. Still threatening, but calm.

As frustrating as it was to pilot a boat in those conditions, I am grateful for the experience. As storms go it was mild. However, it was exactly what I needed to help me keep things in perspective. We all experience moments of thunder storm in our lives. And, in the end, the sun always comes out to dry things off.

Wednesday night I made a mistake at BoTS rehearsal. I learned far more from messing up than I ever would have if I had been able to hide in the background as is my nature. Nobody gets fired for a minor screw-up. We wouldn't need to be here if we had already gained perfection.

No comments: